1. My boys were away for a few days and I did not die of loneliness. As odd as it seemed that I would not join them on their mini-vacation (a visit to Grandma's), it turned out to be a brilliant idea.
2. I had many things to take care of while they were gone, but also... get this... slept in. Twice! I mean, really slept in. Not just the laying in bed listening to the clamour with my eyes closed wishing the boys would go outside or to the basement or anywhere that I can't here them just for an hour or so sort of sleeping in. I mean, sleeping in until 9:30 (kids... trust me... that's a heck of a sleep in when you're a mom)!
3. I also didn't starve! I didn't eat the gourmet meals I had planned for myself, but I ate. Sandwiches mostly, greasy take-out food frequently, and ice cream bars that I didn't have to share! With anyone!!
4. I drove in my car listening to music that I wanted to listen to, from start to finish, without having to answer even one question from the back seat!
5. My brain was devoid of questions of any sort for actual minutes at a time! There was space in there for original thought! I can't express just how restorative this was for me.
6. I was reminded that I am pretty self-sufficient in general when there isn't someone else around to rely on (aka delegate to). It was a productive few days, in addition to being restful.
7. I can spend four whole days alone without dying of boredom. I resisted the urge to call friends and fill my days with social events. That was tough. I love my friends, AND it was one big party here last week as the Calgary Stampede took over the town. I resisted the temptations and by the end of the four days felt truly rested. Almost human again!
8. That gift of the few days on my own was enough to remind me that my boys want the best for me, and that the tiniest boy doesn't do what he does to drive me mad. In fact, I adore my boys for who they are and it was nice to have the opportunity to stand back from the chaos and appreciate them.
9. Of course, we are right back on schedule now and I'm as exhausted as I was before the boys went away, but ultimately it was great to know that rest is possible!
10. And I did miss them. It was very quiet around here while they were gone which was both lovely and sad at the same time. I'm happy to have them back with me. I'm feeling renewed. It was a great week!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What did you learn this week?