Welcome! I'm Cookie's Mom. You can learn all about Cookie and why I blog here: About Cookie's Chronicles. If you're new here, you may want to SUBSCRIBE TO MY RSS FEED. Thanks for stopping by! Pull up a beach chair and be my guest, won't you?

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Now that's crisp!

It was -38 °C with the windchill when I got up this morning. For my American friends, that's -36.4 °F, almost at the point where our temperature scale numbers match (-40 °C = -40 °F). In other words, it was really #%*&ing cold outside. Luckily, it's warmed all the way up to -35 °C with the windchill.

We're staying home today. Jack is sick. Yes, again, or still. I'm not sure which. The school has a pretty strict policy about keeping kids away if they have stuff running from places where it shouldn't, which is interesting considering that the school is probably the place where he got sick in the first place. Our precious little germ carriers. Where would we be without them? Actually... let's not go there just now.

Instead, I'd like to share my favourite home remedy with you all.
Cookie's Hot Cold Drink (it's the best I can come up with today - I'm entertaining suggestions for a new name):
  • heat water to just boiling (that's about 85 °C here due to our higher elevation)
  • put 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and 1 Tablespoon good quality honey in a glass
  • pour about 1/2 cup of hot water over honey/cider mixture to melt
  • add freshly squeezed orange juice from 1 orange
  • test to make sure it's not too hot and serve
NOTE: Apple cider vinegar helps control cold symptoms such as a runny nose and watery eyes. This small amount won't be noticed by your little one.
March 4, 2011-Edited to add: Honey provides relief to a sore throat. It also helps to loosen phlegm and move it up the throat and out of the body. I have not tried it yet, but some people claim that Manuka honey is the best as it has strong anti-bacterial properties. See benefits-of-honey.com for more information about honey's many healing properties. NOTE: Do not give honey to children under the age of one (some say 18 months). There is a small risk of botulism, a very serious illness that can cause paralysis, since some honeys contain trace amounts of botulinum spores.
I'd love to hear your home remedies too.

Keep well! I'm going to go turn up the heat and pretend I live someplace more hospitable. Someplace where rabbits don't freeze in mid-sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment