Welcome! I'm Cookie's Mom. You can learn all about Cookie and why I blog here: About Cookie's Chronicles. If you're new here, you may want to SUBSCRIBE TO MY RSS FEED. Thanks for stopping by! Pull up a beach chair and be my guest, won't you?

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

It's Monday Listicle time again with NorthWest Mommy.


Before we get to this week's listicle, I have the pleasure of announcing next week's listicle topic. I feel like I won a pageant or something! Hon? Where's my tiara? Ah, there we go.

My sister thinks you should all write a list of Ten Reasons you Want to be Scottish - we Scots apparently think quite highly of ourselves - but I fear that would alienate a few non-Scots. So... we'll go with my second-best idea which is Ten Tips for New Moms.


This listicle idea comes to mind as my neighbour welcomes a newborn into her home. Do you remember what those first few days, weeks and months were like? Remember how when you were pregnant people would say, "Is this your first?" and then smile, nod and coo as if you were entering the most blissful time of your life? Do you remember what it ACTUALLY was like and how you cursed these women for never telling it like it is? Well, here's your chance to inform the next set of moms. Have fun with it. Your listicle has the potential to be very helpful and/or bloody hilarious! 

This week's listicle topic, Ten Guilty Pleasures, is courtesy of Chicktuition. If you haven't checked out her blog yet, do it! She's a little nutty (in a good way), highly sarcastic, and not afraid to tell it like it is. She's all of the things I'm only brave enough to be when I'm either drunk or hungover, except today. Today I am very bravely sharing things I would not normally share (I'd really rather you all thought of me as the kind, helpful, well-adjusted citizen I am MOST of the time, and not the neurotic and needy mom this post will make me out to be). No, I am not hungover today - I may, or may not, be drinking right now. Which brings me to my list of guilty pleasures.

Ten of my Guilty Pleasures (sadly. yes, this is just a subset)

1) The occasional overindulgence in alcohol. Please don't judge. After all it's not like you've never had a drink (or seven) and had so much fun that you neglected certain adult responsibilities, along with any sense of logic or reason, and woke up at 4:00 am passed out in a bathtub, right? No? Really? Just me then? Okay, that's embarassing... I swear that only happened the once. I don't overindulge very much these days (though I may make an exception for the #MotherOfAllTweetups). I have more important adult responsibilities now (and at my age, the hangovers are brutal)!

2) Survivor. Twenty-two seasons so far (the twenty-third is in progress), times about fifteen hour-long episodes plus a two-hour finale per season adds up to.... a colossal waste of time. Yet, I can not turn away. As I remarked to a friend recently, I never turn to gawk at traffic accidents. Maybe this is my thing.

3) Dessert. I just finished breakfast and can't get my mind off of the pumpkin pie sitting on my kitchen counter. Dessert items call to me. They taunt me. They know my weaknesses: chocolate, caramel, vanilla, cream... It doesn't help that I'm on a cleanse right now. Everything that I see reminds me of dessert. My husband is hiding from me, because just a few minutes ago I was chasing him with a fork and a bottle of whipped cream.

4) Blogging/Facebook/Twitter and Social Media in general. These things are such massive time sucks, but they're also highly rewarding... and thus addictive. Yes, I'm aware that much of the social media world is designed to feed a need for validation and connection with others, and yes, I'm aware that these things are available to me through my friends and family IRL (that's "in real life" for you real lifers). But I've met some great tweeps, I love to "share", and ultimately... I just can't help myself. Guilty!

5) Stealth mornings. Also known as waking up just a little later than everyone else and catching up with my favourite blogging tweeps while my husband and son entertain themselves unaware that I am awake. Of course, if hubby reads this entry the cat will be out of the bag. But I think I can still pull it off. [Edited to add: Hubby read my post and said, "Ya, I already knew about that." Cat. Out of bag. Bummer.]

6) Staying in my pajamas all day. This one doesn't happen as often anymore either. The busy life of a mom means there are always places to go and people to see. But when the opportunity presents itself, I am not going to miss it! I enjoy not having to put makeup on or even comb my hair, just every now and again.

7) Shopping. Not that revealing? I suppose many of us like shopping, but the reason it's guilt-inducing for me is that I have been known to use it as an escape from the mundane life of at-home-motherhood. I should be doing something else, like cleaning my house, but instead I find some reason that a shopping excursion is more pressing. A light bulb burned out and we're out of light bulbs?! Sounds like a shopping emergency to me!

8) Video games. Yet another thing that I have no time for these days, but given a week to myself I might just spend most of it playing games on the XBox. It's happened before, not since Jack was born, but it will happen again. The only reason I am looking forward to the teen years is so that Jack and I can spend some quality time slouched on the couch kicking alien butt together. Weird. I know.

9) Carbs in general. It's not just desserts that I crave. I love bread, especially raisin bread - it's like dessert! Muffins, english muffins, bagels scones... you name it. If it's made from a grain, with even a hint of sweetness, I'm all over it.

10) TV in general. I mentioned my Survivor addiction. Sadly, it doesn't end there. This one is last because it's probably the hardest to admit. I... am in love with my television. Alright, I may be exaggerating a tad. What do you think? I currently have 10 shows sitting on my PVR from this past week alone. Guilty? I suppose so.

BONUS: 11) Monday Listicles. It's true. I am addicted to these lists. Writing them. Reading them. I can't get enough!

Now if you don't mind I need to wrap this up. My TV is calling me. Coming, sweetheart!!

Wow! I really feel like I've opened up to all of you. That was very therapeutic. I actually forgot for a bit about this cleanse that I'm on and... aw, dang. Honey? Is there any more cake?

Feel like confessing? Link up your list of Ten Guilty Pleasures!



Don't forget to link up next week with your Ten Tips for New Moms.

43 comments:

  1. Hahaha!! Sue, this cracked me up!! We definitely share some guilty pleasures ;)
    Great topic for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I-separated at birth. I feel we should called you husband to check on him... I can just imagine you running around with a fork.
    Also, cleanse around Thanksgiving? BRAVE!!
    PS love the next weeks theme, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stasha, he's fine. When he saw the whipped cream he was all smiles, but then the fork scared him off. :) Thankfully, I made it through Thanksgiving before the cleanse started. But, oy, the cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list! I'm with you on all of your guilty pleasures - especially Monday Listicles, I forgot that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bianca. I left out shoes! Major oversight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss joining in on the Listicles and need to get back on track with it.

    I love staying in pj's all day too.

    You had me at shopping. It's my guiltiest of pleasures:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. New to the area, what is listicals?
    I don't get it, but I like it. :) Some one explain?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dessert....yummy. I'm now thinking about what I might have tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. #8. I think I have a mom crush on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Nice one Sue! I like Stealth mornings - I should try that and I love my TV too, only now I'm forced to watch kid's shows or have it switched off. *sigh*
    You got me there when you wrote 10 reasons you want to be Scottish. I was thinking, gosh how is a Chinese going to think like a Scottish! Hehe, thank goodness it's top 10 tips for new mothers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, Shopping, carbs & TV... we do have a lot in common!! Great List!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Bruna - we miss your lists! And maybe we can do a little shopping in December! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moonara, "listicle" is a combination of the words "list" and "article". It's a piece of writing written in list form. Click the button to go to Stasha's web site and you can learn all about her Monday Listicles meme. Then jump in and join us! It's pretty fun and you'll be addicted in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica, you tease. :) I'm thinking about what I'm going to have when this cleanse is over (or alternatively when I cheat on this cleanse later today - kidding).

    Christine - lol. We are like two nerds in a pod! :)

    G, sorry to freak you out with the Scottish thing - we Scots have a bit of a warped sense of humour some times. I don't get to watch my shows as much any more either (thus the large number of shows sitting on my PVR).

    Barbara, we do have a lot in common! Now, if we could somehow combine those three things.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very funny! I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks iza! I'm happy that my neuroses provide such entertainment for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding up the hours I've spent watching trash TV might send me into a coma. I think I'll just have some cookies instead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading this wonderful list of guilty pleasures has me convinced that I need more guilty pleasures. I especially love "Stealth Mornings." Good luck with the cleanse and staying away from desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not to sound like a crazy person/stalker here, but I think it's possible you are my long lost sister. I agree with your whole list.

    Except for the last and being addicted to the list meme. I haven't tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list...List Master ;) Great linky as well I think will join next time...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bridget, that sounds like a stellar plan to me!

    Jennifer, thanks for your good luck wishes! I am going to need them.

    Shell, maybe I am your long lost sister! I'm sure that if you give Monday Listicles a try, you too will be hooked! :)

    Ha, ha! Thanks Rachel. Definitely join next time - it's too fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. #5 and #6 especially crack me up! I used to go for those stealth mornings, too. Now I actually am fine with the time with my baby asleep on me on the couch while I watch bad TV and get my social media fix, while wearing my pajamas :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an awesome list! I too am a tv whore- our DVR always seems to be filling up. My mom is still a faithful Survivor watcher, while I prefer Amazing Race.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Next weeks theme is SO much fun. So excited. I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Katie, that sounds heavenly. My 'baby' doesn't so much sleep on me these days as jump up and down on my head, but I do like the rest of your scenario! :)

    Jackie - 'TV whore'! LOL How appropriate!

    Jessica, thanks! I can't wait to read your list next week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL, you and I have some very similar addictions (ahem, I mean guilty pleasures). Except the video games, I've been avoiding those like the plague because I know I am always just one little game away from a having a serious problem and eventually needing my butt surgically removed from my couch. It's also why I resisted Twitter for so long, but well... you know how THAT story ends!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe someone else said Survivor!! Why does that make me so happy?

    Love your list of guilty pleasures...we should hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 7) Definitely not just you! I haven't awakened with my pants in the sink since coming back from Japan, but there have been a few special moments of these. Roughly half of these have involved events related to your #8. :p

    --

    Ach, I just got bad news. :( I'll let this stand where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this post...my number one guilty pleasure was 6 am, everyone asleep, my coffee, my tablets, my tv...lol...funny how the women just need that "time". Love the whole list, you are truly a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amanda, I hear you. I avoid the Wii for that reason - except the "Wii Fit". I avoid that for an entirely different reason!

    Jacqui, it's like we're accomplices in a secret crime, that is... well no longer a secret and... not at all illegal. Let's watch it at your place this week.

    Deb, pants in the sink? Atta girl! You'll have to tell me just how something like that can be related to #8 - very intrigued. But now I am worried by your last sentence... off to check on you!

    Bestfoodies, thanks for the compliment! We moms really do need, and absolutely deserve, our down time. Who thought joy could be so easy to attain. Just the opportunity to pee without an audience is pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yum, dessert! Social media is also a guilty pleasure of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hear ya! pajamas make me feel the top of the guilty chain.

    And almost your whole list is in mine too.

    www.mamaandthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your list.

    Desserts make me happy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kimberly, you are the social media queen! I am but a pawn in this fast-paced world of Networks, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, StumbleUpon........ Oy. I'm getting dizzy.

    Afrodita, it is sad that we need to feel guilty for being comfortable.

    Whispering Writer, desserts are the bane of my existence... but I still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I feel guilty sometimes too about the time I spend online, but really my friends online have been a great source of support, so that makes me feel less guilty about it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Rach, that's so true. I have to keep that in mind! Not so guilty after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the topic that you chose for next week for Listicles. Can't wait. I love pajamas. Somedays, I get into them as soon as I get home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love, love, love your list. And, I was excited there for a minute there Sue -- I have Scottish roots! I think it might be the reason I once drank so much, I woke up in a motel, in an entirely diffrent city, just me and my BFF...and 7 police cadets.
    but that's probably another list entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ah the joy of that third glass of wine...I share that (guilty) pleasure. Of course, I'm now of an age where that third glass just kills me the next morning. So sad: my entire misspent youth, wasted. I used to be so good at drinking & recovering. Sigh. So now, yes, it's more of a dessert thing. Not so much cake, but cookies? Pie? caramel anything? ... great list & next week's topic looks good too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Lisa! I can't wait to read everyone's lists! And pajamas rule!

    Rory! That's quite a story. One you'll have to tell me one day over a drink! :) Remember: If it ain't Scottish, it's.... Well, maybe I'd better not finish that.

    Deborah, I'm with you there. I used to be a champion over-indulger and it didn't bother me much the next day - probably why it happened more than once. Not these days. Oy. But as you say, there's always dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your topic for next week! Oh where to start??? Maybe I can actually get my poop together and link up on time next week! I love your list. I pretty much love and enjoy indulging in every single one of your guilty pleasures. Well... except for Survivor. Never really got into that show. I'm too busy watching Real Housewives. S*it!... did I just say that out loud?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mommy2¢ there's all kinds of stuff on TV to feel guilty about. Mind-numbing pleasure! Looking forward to reading your list next week!!

    ReplyDelete