Welcome! I'm Cookie's Mom. You can learn all about Cookie and why I blog here: About Cookie's Chronicles. If you're new here, you may want to SUBSCRIBE TO MY RSS FEED. Thanks for stopping by! Pull up a beach chair and be my guest, won't you?

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving:
Ten Things I am Grateful For

This is the day that I have, for several weeks now, dedicated to participating in North West Mommy's Monday Listicles meme. This Monday is no different in that sense, but, with sincere apologies to one of my favourite funny blogging moms, Ado of the Momalog, who chose this week's listicle topic, I am going to veer off topic for the first time... but for a very good reason.

It's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada, and I want to take the time to give thanks for my many blessings.


Do check out Ado's topic for this week's listicle, because it's a fun one: it's your chance to list ten things about your family tree. Dig out the skeletons and share some funny family stories. Then link up!

Ten Things I am Grateful For

Family. On Thanksgiving Day, we gather with our families to celebrate and enjoy the bounty of the season. I am extremely fortunate to have a number of people in my life that, were they not family members, I would happily call friends. My husband, my son, my sister, my brothers, and my mom and dad though they are no longer with us, are all in my thoughts today. Thanks to my husband in particular for being my best friend and a loving, compassionate father to our son.

Friends. Just as many of my family members are also good friends, my many good friends are like family to me. I consider myself to be very fortunate indeed to have the friends that I do. They are supportive and fun. A toast to all of you today!

Music. I hadn't intended on writing this list in any particular order after the first two, but it makes sense that music is near the top of the list. Music is almost as necessary to me as air. I'm a bit of an aficionado, but it's not because I endeavour to be one. Music just enters my body and stays there. I have so many song lyrics and melodies swimming around in my head there really isn't room for much of anything else. I'd rather go to a concert, almost any kind, than a movie (not that I don't love my movies)! If there is no music playing, I'm usually tempted to sing. My husband, my son and I all have this love of music in common.

My Kindle. Yes it's true I love my Kindle (ILMK). This seems a strange thing to be grateful for, but it has afforded me the opportunity to read 40+ books already this year, whereas last year I probably read something like 10 DTBs (dead-tree books), if that. It also inspired the launch of Cookie's Book Club which has been really fun to write content for. That in turn has put me into contact with some fabulous writers, who have also turned out to be very interesting, charming, witty and generous people. All kinds of good, from a little device.

My view. I love my home, and especially the view from my back deck. I am SO very fortunate that I get to see this view every day. It changes with the seasons and Mother Nature's moods. I never tire of the big sky, long view and the majestic Rocky Mountains.


Nature. One of the reasons that I love my home and it's view is that I love nature. The sights, sounds and smells of it replenish my sometimes weary soul. Life is busy... and noisy. Escaping with my family to the mountains or even the river near our house is a luxury I hope never to take for granted.

Good food. I'm grateful that I have a husband who enjoys cooking. I have grand ideas. I'm great at meal planning. But when it comes to execution, I sometimes get distracted by the multitude of other things I have going on. Hubby slides in and saves the day by cooking it all up to perfection! We have enjoyed homemade pizzas on the BBQ that are to die for! When I am inspired to cook, I can go a little crazy, for example making an entire Indian feast from scratch, but oh my, is it good! I love eating out. I love eating in. Breakfast served in my hotel room. Brunch at the local diner. Romantic picnic lunches and delicious sausage on a bun from the street vendor. Elegant dinners at the finest restaurants, and pot luck meals with friends. I love the experience of eating. I love good food!

My health. I've mentioned my health before. There are some challenges there, but I am grateful, truly, for the good health and good days that I enjoy. Each new day is a gift, with the potential to be great. I am blessed to have options with respect to health care, supportive friends and family, and to lead this wonderfully, full life!

This blog. This blog has been a real growth experience for me, and a whole lot of fun. It's, at times, the best kind of therapy. It allows me to do a little light writing, share some of my ideas, and connect with like-minded friends.

...which brings me to the tenth thing I am most grateful for...

You! To those of you who read my blog, leave me thoughtful comments, and just generally offer your support, I say thank-you! Without that support, I would feel a bit like I am talking to a room full of empty chairs. Your feedback is MUCH appreciated and so helpful!


Happy Thanksgiving to all of my Canadian friends! I hope you are able to spend some time in the company of your loved ones today. Enjoy your turkey/ham/tofurkey dinners! I most definitely will enjoy mine... especially the pumpkin pie!

24 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I seem to have your cooking skills and a husband that make sit all better too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great things to be thankful for, including me of course..Hahah!
    Happy Thanksgiving! That is such a fantastic view from your back deck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that today was Thanksgiving in Canada! Happy Thanksgiving! Those are all such great things to be thankful for, and ILMK too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving day up there in Canada! I too love music - don't know what I'd do without it. Do you guys eat turkey/cranberry sauce up there, or something else? Have a great day and thanks for your sweet comments about my blog. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Can I admit, I think that view alone could cover your list of thanks? Breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! What a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadian! Enjoy the extra day off to spend time with the things and people you are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so much to be grateful for! Not the least of which is that view! I can't imagine looking at that ever gets old.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stasha, thank goodness for our guys! If it weren't for mine, we might resort to breakfast for dinner 6 out of 7 nights... something ordered in on the 7th. ;)

    Kiddothings, I am very grateful for you! :)

    Barbara, thanks! My love for my Kindle is a bit of a running joke around here. It's the one thing I will NOT share. Mine!

    Ado, yes! Turkey, cranberries, stuffing, potatoes (regular and sweet), brussel sprouts, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream! YUM!

    Thanks Jackie. You're so right about that. It's a spectacular view.

    Erica, thanks. It's a good life alright!

    Thanks Bianca! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

    Jacqui, you're right. The view never gets old. If it stayed just as it is today, I would love it, but what's even better is that it changes constantly. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving!
    your view really is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Leighann! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving all of these Canadian Thanksgiving posts! They are so happy and I love to hear what you're all grateful for!! I love that music is on your list, and that view is AWESOME!! I'm a bit jealous you get to see that every day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jen! I am very, very lucky to be able to enjoy this view! IT is the reason I never want to move again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wow! A view like that really is something to be grateful for.

    I'm grateful to have your blog to read--or, let me amend that: your words to read, however they reach me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Thanksgiving to you! What a lovely list you compiled. And holy moly, do you have a view!! Unbelievable. How do you ever leave the house?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Deb. The feeling is mutual!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Iza, it can be a problem - never wanting to leave the house. :) But sometimes I want to see them up close too, so I venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our lists are very similar. Happy Thanksgiving to a fellow Canadian blogger.
    Cheer to Blogs, Family and our Homes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy thanksgiving. And wow! You do have a great view. That is one of those little things that are taken for granted sometimes in this fast moving world.

    Great you have that and the good food to your finger tips. :)

    www.mamaandthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving, Sue! Your view IS quite spectacular. (And I thought ours was great.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely list! And that view - WOW! Amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great list! Especially the part about great food. I love great food, it makes life worth living!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your thanksgiving list..I too am thankful for many of the same things. You view is awesome! I don't have a kindle but have kindle on my tablet and I love it too...especially that i can check out library books on it!

    ReplyDelete