Ladies, you asked for photos, but, see, that's sort of like asking someone to unearth a fossil on short notice. Yes... I'm THAT old. Okay, not THAT old, but old enough that all high school photos were taken on film that is likely in the bottom of some dusty box in an attic somewhere.
However, I did take pictures of some pictures I found in a photo album in my closet. I really had to dig. You're welcome. Please keep the laughing to a minimum.
1) There's just no point talking about high school without talking about hair. As I look through these photos, I see that I could just as easily have called this post Ode to My 80s Hair. Good friends from that time will tell you that I spent an irritating amount of time coiffing. Impressive, no? Note also the HUGE shoulder pads. With this hair and those shoulder pads, I was well protected from any kind of assault. With the added fog of hairspray that followed me wherever I went, it's a surprise anyone wanted to come near me.
2) Second only to the hair was the makeup application. Very important. Very precise. Very heavy, compared to my now five-minute-make-me-look-less-dead standard. NO WAY would I leave the house without full makeup back then.
3) Most of these pictures are from the latter part of my high school days. I may have been slightly more focused on spending time with friends than studying. Uh-oh. Is that a glass of wine in my hands? (I looked quite mature for 17, no?) Check out the earrings.
4) Good Lord, what am I wearing? Anyone remember what these pants are called? Balloon pants seems to work. Teal shirt. Salmon pants. Wide white belt. Tres chic, n'est-ce pas? Bonus points to anyone who knows where I am in this picture.
5) Graduation. Poufy dress? Check. Corsage? Check. Going nowhere, big hair? Check. Heavy blue eyeshadow? But, of course!
6) Ahh. My relaxed style. I wore a lot of oversized garments back then. I'm not really sure what that was all about. But it seems I was OK with it.
7) Uh... I'm not really sure I can explain this one. Let's see. Oh, yes. This should clarify. Alcohol was involved. Note the waist-high jeans. HAWT! NOT! And, of course, the billowy shirt.
8) Homemade bridesmaid dress? What could be lovelier? Okay, it's certainly not any worse than some others I donned - I was especially happy to wear this one to my sister's wedding. Happy day! Could the sleeves on this dress BE any bigger? (Channeling my inner Chandler there.)
9) I was pretty goofy. Despite the fact that my homelife was crumbling to bits, I had a lot of fun in those days. This picture makes me look sort of psychotic though - the knife in my hand doesn't help.
10) Now THIS hair is spectacular. A lot of hours spent with a curling iron in my hand in the high school days. Oh, to have that time back! This whole look with the big shirt, big earrings and funky ski glasses really does wonders for my image.
It's unfortunate (or not) that I didn't find a photo with my hair in a scrunchie. Gawd awful invention, that.
BONUS photo) As I was perusing my photo album, I came across this photo. My parents separated but were still alive when I was in high school. Here I am with dad - a fellow goofball when he wanted to be. Miss him. And my mama. Much.
I haven't looked at these photos in such a long time. All I can think looking at this series of images is, Wow! Is that really me? It's like we live many mini lives, isn't it? Reinventing ourselves decade after decade.
It's going to be fun to see what the next decade brings. We've already seen the comeback of wide belts, leggings, rompers and jumpsuits. Someone please tell me we'll never see scrunchies, shoulder pads or 80s hair again! Please?
For more on high school in the 80s, check out this post by Ally of Two Normal Moms. Can SO relate to everything she shared.