Before I get to my post, if you haven't already done so, be sure to enter my advance giveaway for a copy of EC Stilson's new book, The Golden Sky, being released November 18th! Click here for details.The lovely and talented Hopes of Staying Afloat was asked to select this week's Monday Listicles topic, and it's a good one! We're talking vacations today, and I couldn't be happier. I'd much rather think about travelling to some place other than here with snow on the way. Don't get me wrong, winter has a lot to offer, but I'd still sacrifice a large part of it for the chance to go someplace where I don't have to don a parka and chip my way out of my house with an ice scraper.
So, let's dream a little, shall we? Just a sec... Almost ready. Here we are! Margarita in hand, flip flops and body-flattering dress adorned, furnace blasting to create the illusion of summer, and... go!
Ten things that make a perfect vacation.
1. Time. My dream holidays is at least three weeks long - a month would be better. I leave my watch at home and let someone else take care of details like where I need to be and when I need to be there.
2. The Perfect Climate. It takes place somewhere warm (not too hot) and sunny with beautiful scenery. An ocean breeze wouldn't hurt.
3. Adventure! There are opportunities for horseback riding, hiking, biking, canoeing, sailing on a catamaran, snorkeling, exploring caves, zip-lining and the like.
4. Culture. I get to meet the locals and share in their customs, maybe learn a craft or a few new dance moves!
5. Family. My dream holiday involves my husband and my son and lots of fun too! I imagine wherever we go, we'd stop in at DisneyWorld for part of our tour.
6. Food! As source of pleasure, rather than anguish. I don't want to prepare it. Not one meal. I don't want to think about it. I don't even want to make choices about it. My perfect vacation would involve simply showing up and being served something fabulous, whenever I happen to be hungry.
7. Peace. There's an absence of whaaaan! I love my kid - don't get me wrong - but the perfect' vacation would contain NO WHINING. And significantly fewer why questions. And no toys to put away or leave aching scars in the middle of my feet when I step on them. Which brings me to #8
8. Sloth. There is no cleaning of any kind - not the bathroom, not the kitchen, not the clothes, not the kid, not the cat, and definitely not the back of my car.
9. R & R. There is plenty of opportunity to rest, to read, to snap some killer photos and to write.
10. Pampering. Lastly, my dream vacation includes frequent visits to the spa - massages, facials, pedicures, manicures. Ahhhh.
Ah, lovely. I love sightseeing, and I'm surprised not to see more of it in my list, but I guess that's just where I'm at. This tired mama needs the sounds, sights and smells of a tranquil beach!
What do you need to have the perfect vacay?